爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2376
用戶失蹤天數 2084
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-4-5 08:07 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Leonard GildarieDoing some things yourself…This week, as we bring the curtain down on what has been an enlightening experience for the past 12 weeks or so, the news is good.Minister of Housing and Water, Irfaan Ali, is quoted on the government TV channel last week as saying that his officials are making heartening progress to ensure that both home builders and contractors are protected more. This will entail, among other things, the introduction of a standard contract, something that was notably missing between the two parties, where the option was to go for a more informal arrangement. Eventually,Jerseys NFL Cheap, there will be a licensing system for contractors.Judging from the number of complaints via letters and email, this was a sore issue which led to many homes being stalled while in construction.We have been receiving mail from Holland, the British Virgin Islands, the US, Canada and several Caribbean islands.From a newspaper perspective, the good news is that Guyanese living abroad want to return home and are reading the news online.As we wrap up the articles, there are a few things that need to be examined, based on queries.Sand-fillingOne landowner asked whether it is a good idea to build up your land before or after construction and whether it would be better to use sand or dirt.Regarding both questions, I think it is a matter of choice. While building, my contractor cleared the area for the foundation, ensuring that he had enough maneuverability for his wheelbarrows and camp. He told me it would be pointless to waste $20,000 to clear the land and level it as it still has to be filled.Now, that particular scenario will in all likelihood be different from yours. You may not want to concrete your yard. I did. Another reason I waited to sand fill the yard was because cash was not readily available for that part, yet. I had to concentrate on the actual structure.On the other hand, because sand takes some time to settle – it has to be soaked – it may have been a good idea to fill the yard while building. Watch out,Cheap Jerseys, though, for those pieces of wood which may be left and which can help attract those fearsome wood-ants.Bottomline on this issue – it is a choice that you have to make based on money and other issues.Regarding the sand and dirt issue, this too is a matter of choice. If you are pouring concrete on the entire yard, sand is better. However, many folks like to plant too. It may be a good idea to mix them, placing the dirt where the garden is supposed to be.One warning that I think is pertinent here is ensuring that the perimeters are blocked around if you are raising the level of the yard. If your neighbours’ land is going to be lower than yours, you have to either build a concrete fence or build a curb wall (kind of) around the fence area to keep the sand or dirt in. My contractor did not do such a good job on a section and we were forced to do repairs recently after part of the drain collapsed because the sand was washing over to the adjacent lot.Self-helpAnother land-owner wanted to know whether it may be a wise idea to do a lot of “self help”. I presume she meant having the contractor do the harder part and maybe some of the smaller things can be handled later by family members.This is a good question. If you have a flat house, and some time to play around, yes you can do some of the painting yourself. We did a lot of work on our home. Stuff like staining the doors and internal painting was not done by the contractor.For some people, plumbing is easy, and with care could be handled by the home owners. Fence painting, landscaping and leveling of the yard can wait if you are tight on cash.So yes,Wholesale World Cup Jerseys, there are a number of things that you can handle by yourself. But be careful, it can cost you if you end up buying wrong pipe fittings or messing up the works.What you should noteHouseOver the past few weeks,Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys, several critical issues were raised.In my mind, the most pertinent one is ensuring that you have a very clear idea what it is that you are building. This has to be conveyed clearly to your architect who will be drawing your plan. Your plan in all likelihood will not include arches and other little details that can cost you extra money – money you may not have.You have to select your contractor. Investigate him or her. Check out a few of the homes that he/she would have built. Talk to the owners and neighbours.Start also to shop around at the hardware stores. You may see the different tiles or faucets that you may want to use.Ensure that your contractor or a contractor gives you a detailed estimate of the materials needed. On your own, you have to also factor in the cost of things like sink, to