爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2358
用戶失蹤天數 2066
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-4-12 12:32 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
…Lorna Williams is a ‘Special Person’ull Quote: “I branched off into that field (nursing), but honestly I had really wanted to be a teacher. I always had that instinct to take care of people and nursing just suited me. I could feel for others and feel for myself at the same time.”By Leon SuseranLorna Patricia Williams believes the art of nursing has been lost in our society. She is convinced of thisLorna Patricia Williamsbecause she knew all that came with the job, having served the profession for more than three decades – 32 years to be precise.This week’s ‘Special Person’ has served in every hospital in East Berbice and even numerous health centres. In fact, so dedicated to her job as a nurse was Lorna that she was never absent from duty or late. She understood the importance of her work, thus she is disappointed with what she believes has become the norm today.Being a health-care provider is not an easy job, but as you will soon learn,Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale, Lorna Williams did it better than most.EARLY LIFE & GROWING UPBorn on March 7, 1954 to Iona and Samuel Williams at Rose Hall Town, Corentyne, Lorna had one brother, Rupert and five sisters, Gloria, Stella, Rita, Claudette and Jacqueline. The family moved from Corentyne to Canefield, Canje in 1959, after which Williams attended St Patrick’s Anglican School in 1963.She later wrote the College of Preceptors exams but did not attend secondary school “because my parents were old- fashioned– they thought that girls should not have education– that’s the type of family I came from and that was why I was the only girl that was allowed to work”.Growing up for her was “good…we hadn’t much; we were not a rich family but we were comfortable– my father used to work at the Rose Hall Estate and my mom never worked”.She became pregnant with her first son, Shawn, shortly after school in 1972 and then she started to work little jobs such as a home-maker, and a kindergarten school- teacher, including a brick- factory in Cumberland where she earned $2 per week.She later got married on December 27, 1975 to Hubert Daniels, a sailor on the MV Torani. That was an arranged marriage, she recalled, because “again being old- fashioned, my parents thought that when you have one child, you’re doomed– that’s embarrassing– but outWilliams (standing) with the ward sisters.of that I got three children: Mark, Marlon and Milroy”. They then moved to Cumberland in Canje, where she resides to this day.Having developed an innate love for helping sick people, Williams joined the nursing profession on February 1, 1978.“I branched off into that field (nursing), but honestly I had really wanted to be a teacher. I always had that instinct to take care of people and nursing just suited me. I could feel for others and feel for myself at the same time,” she noted.“It taught me a lot and I met a lot of people with whom I suddenly became family…and they took me into their lives”, she noted. She worked from Mara on the East Bank of Berbice right through to the Upper Corentyne in Skeldon, “at all the hospitals, even Fort Canje (Psychiatric)”.She was first trained at the New Amsterdam Nursing School and later did her internship at the National Psychiatric Hospital as a Nursing Assistant “…then we had two outstations at that time where I did a stint at Fort Canje and Skeldon, and after that we were stationed wherever there was a call”.She later worked at numerous health centres which were referred to as Public Health Stations “and they would send you all over just to meet people and see different diseases”. She worked in every ward at the various hospitals except the Dental area, where only specialized persons worked.LIFE AS A NURSE“When you’re a nurse you care for people as you would like them to care for yourself,Stitched Jerseys, because you put yourself into other people’s shoes, and you would tell yourself many a time that this person lying there could be you. So you do your utmost to care for that person and at the same time, it makes you feel great that you could do something and get results. That’s that best part of being a nurse.”Nursing, she added, afforded her the opportunity to have met so many personsGraduation at the National Psychiatric Hospital in 1981of all backgrounds.“The profession does not have any barrier, you give the same professional care that you would give anybody else.”Everyone knows that nurses are not stationed in one area for too long. They are transferred regularly. But being the good planner Williams was, she catered fully for this. Being moved so frequently meant that neither she nor her husband (who was also away doing his job) were present in the home. But the children were supervised well.“I was lucky enough not to be too far from home for a very long period of time,” she recounted. Her mother-in-law assisted