爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2395
用戶失蹤天數 2103
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-5-20 05:34 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
Dear Editor,We?need a new state-of-the-art bridge over the Demerara River with some kind of attractive aesthetics for which the nation can be proud.Even before a portion of the bridge collapsed,Stitched Jerseys, I was telling Guyanese friends and guests from Mauritius two weeks ago when we crossed the bridge in a vehicle that we need a new one.??My guests commented on the collapsing state of the bridge and could not believe it could be allowed to deteriorate to such a terrible condition. They pointed to several rotting parts and were fearful of sinking into the river when crossing it.“Where is management,Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, the line Minister,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, and the government,Cheap China Jerseys,” they asked,NFL Jerseys Wholesale, regarding the shoddy nature of maintenance work and the poor state of equipment. I was embarrassed and could not provide an answer to them.The bridge has been neglected beyond disrepair.??I recall some years ago in a report,Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys, President Bharrat Jagdeo chiding management for the deterioration of the bridge. The President described its neglect as “almost criminal” and mandated repairs.??But no one was held accountable for the neglect of the bridge. No head was cut off to send a message to staff as should have been normal.??Business continued as usual leading to last week’s disaster.I was informed by newspaper readers that recently over $1 billion was allocated to management for repair work, in addition to tens of millions of additional dollars for maintenance. We were guaranteed that the more than $1 billion repairs would make the bridge last 10 more years. Well it is only a few months and we have this near disaster as a result of the bridge’s collapse.But more money will be spent on the bridge – and the result would be the same unless there is accountability.Yes, the bridge desperately needs a face lift and major structural work while consideration is given to construction of a new bridge.?Effective government action is needed to determine how money was spent. The Demerara Harbour Bridge Corporation (and the Minister in charge of the bridge) should never have allowed it to decay to such a horrible condition. Minister Robeson Benn and/or Manager Rawlston Adams need to explain why the bridge is in such a decrepit state.I was reminded by your newspaper readers that some time ago, there was a report of a pontoon missing (stolen) from the bridge and found in Mahaica.??That action was criminal and there has not been a satisfactory explanation from management.People would like to know the status of the investigation into this “drifting” pontoon. There are cameras at the bridge.??How was the pontoon removed undetected? Who is going to be held accountable for it? What is government doing about it? How were the billions allocated for repairs over the last five years spent? What work was done?I defended Minister Benn in the past on his no-nonsense approach to getting things done at works.??But clearly he will lose people’s confidence in the Demerara Harbour Bridge matter unless he takes a tough line against management and the contractors holding them accountable on their shoddy work and poor oversight.??Even Benn’s oversight of structural work has come in for tough critique by people in the street.??He won’t like to know what people say about him.The government may not wish to expend scarce funds on a commission of inquiry into the state of the bridge and its partial collapse, but the Minister should order an investigation so the public can know exactly what caused the bridge to deteriorate and to collapse and how taxpayers’ money is being spent by the Demerara Harbour Bridge Corporation.??And we need to know the status of investigations into the stolen pontoon. And start planning for a new bridge.Vishnu Bisram