爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2385
用戶失蹤天數 2093
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-5-29 18:57 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Michael BenjaminWhen someone walks into a trap that is so well concealed that hardly notices, it may be considered an accident. Likewise when one reaches for a slice of bread and inadvertently spills a portion of hot coffee on his hands, this could also be regarded as an accident.But when a minibus driver careens along the streets at a frightening pace, totally oblivious to the terror experienced by the dozens of commuters in his care and slams into another vehicle or is unable to control his vehicle after sustaining mechanical or other defects, this must not be considered an accident, it should be termed an ‘on purpose’ and the errant driver must have the book thrown at him.The driver in question certainly regarded the ‘Avenue’ as the ‘Homestretch’ it was and ended up causing an ‘on purpose’ just under a week ago. Subsequently, five persons lost their lives while several others are seriously and remain hospitalized.The ‘on purpose’ has once again highlighted a need for drivers of all modes of vehicles to exercise great care and caution as they traverse the roadways. More so, those that operate vehicles that transport the public on a daily basis must be placed under certain statutes that relegate them to be extremely careful when plying their trade.The vociferous outcries of the affected families for swift action in punishing the errant driver are certainly unsurprising but sadly, endorse the view that persons are only wont to join the fight to facilitate an end to this scourge when they are directly affected.One fully sympathizes with those who lost loved ones and sincerely pray that they find solace in the fact that God knows best and designs situations the way they flesh out.The grotesque picture of bodies sprawled on the streets coupled with the loud wails emanating from the throats of loved ones should be a strong catalyst for motorists to develop a fresh attitude of the way they use our roads.During my journalistic tenure I have witnessed many fatal accidents and listened to the wails of the affected. I have seen the police spring into action and adopt a zero tolerance disposition to errant motorists.The immediate period after a fatal accident is the safest time to use the roads as police officers are teeming and they adopt a zero tolerance attitude to errant motorists. Alas, shortly after the hue and cry, the situation reverts to its former status and the peace officers return to their respective desks.Naturally, after a horrific accident one would expect motorists to become circumspect and use the roads with care even when law enforcement officers are not around. Unfortunately, such is not the case and just as soon as the police officers return to their offices, the craziness resumes.Five years ago, while straddled on my motor scooter on the Railway Embankment,David Njoku Jersey, a sports utility vehicle slammed into me after the driver failed to stop at the Conversation Tree and Railway Embankment junction. I was unconscious for approximately ten minutes and the doctors had attributed this to my superb level of fitness.Some six weeks later I sought a discharge from the Georgetown Public Hospital, to the Davis Memorial Hospital where I underwent surgery after registering my dissatisfaction at the quality of medical care I was receiving at the aforementioned medical institution.I lay in bed with my injured leg elevated and a steel pin riveted through my shin bone to alleviate the excruciating pain that shot through my body at the simplest movement. Even amidst my pain I could not help but note the suffering of those around me after being involved in vehicular accidents.Further,Brian Campbell Jersey, my pain appeared miniscule in comparison to what other patients were enduring. All around me were persons in various positions, some with both feet elevated high in the air, others swathed in bandages while still others with bandages wrapped around their chests and moaning in pain while imploring the attention for some sort of relief.I remembered a particular Amerindian patient who had both of his legs in a cast after he was struck down by a car in the Timehri area. Weeks after I was discharged from the Davis Memorial Hospital, where I had gone after requesting a discharge from the Georgetown Public Hospital, I learnt that he had died, not directly from the leg injuries but from brain damage. Further, I say not.This is the very first time since my accident five years ago that I choose to discuss the details of the mishap that has left me incapable of fully enjoying the use of my right leg even as I am forced to live in pain for the rest of my life, not to mention the taunts from some na?ve individuals whose understanding of the suffering and misfortune of others seriously needs some revamping.It is only after being involved in accidents that one is conf