爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 3819 ☼
註冊 2018-7-5
用戶註冊天數 2093
用戶失蹤天數 1852
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-8-8 11:49 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
The rains threatened and then the sun came out with a vengeance but nothing deterred the thousands who descended yesterday on Independence Park to say farewell to assassinated activist Courtney Crum-Ewing.Pandemonium erupted when the casket was opened and it was some time before order was restored as relatives, friends and scores, angered by the killing, fought to view the remains of the person they now consider the fallen hero.Libation was poured in remembrance of the slaves who were executed at that very ground in the now famous 1823 rebellion. It was fitting that Courtney visited there for the last time.As the water fell, chants of “Ashay! Ashay! Ashay!” filled the air. In Yoruba, it means “farewell”.Several public speakers then took to the podium, lambasting the Government and police for what they perceived as a stalled investigation into the fallen activist’s death. The message was clear… Guyanese must vote on May 11 with Courtney Crum-Ewing in their heart.Notably absent, at both Independence Park and at the church, were any representatives from the Government or the ruling party. However, there were several Opposition officials, including former Members of Parliament Joe Harmon, Jaipaul Sharma and Vanessa Kissoon.Crum-Ewing, a former student of Queen’s College who excelled in sports, and a former soldier, was killed on the evening of March 10 in the upscale section of New Diamond Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara.He was using a bullhorn to encourage residents to vote for the Opposition. He was shot dead, three bullets to head and left lying in Third Avenue,Aleix Vidal Jersey, in the darkness with his bullhorn a short distance away.The killing shocked Guyana.Crum-Ewing made headlines last year after he staged a one-man protest for 80 days in front of the offices of the Attorney General, Anil Nandlall, following revelations of an explosive taped conversation between that official and a senior reporter of Kaieteur News. The newspaper was threatened and Crum-Ewing signaled his intentions to protest until actions were taken against Nandlall.Mayor of Georgetown, Hamilton Green extolled the crowd to leave Independence Park knowing that they had a job to do.“The enemies of democracy and decency have for the past months tried to tempt us into violence. But we will not be tempted to play the game the way they want us to play.”The Mayor revealed that earlier when he had granted permission for the service to be held at Independence Park, Town Clerk (Ag) Carol Sooba had tried to block him.“We must understand the relation between meeting here and Courtney. This ground is sacred and any nincompoop who tells us we can’t be here, let them come and move us!” he declared to thunderous applause.“We paid libation and we have the support of our ancestors on this ground in 1823 and there could be no more appropriate place to meet to say this final farewell. Less than 200 years ago the plantocracy had the slaves tried and executed.”“They had them brought here; decapitated and planted their heads on posts around this sacred ground and no one must ever tell us we can’t meet here. That blood was shed with the same mentality that brought those guns to remove Courtney from this earth. But his memory, his work must never die!”“His flesh is gone, but his spirit will give us the energy and the purpose to rid this country of this evil empire!”Kaieteur News, Publisher, Glenn Lall,Alex Sandro Jersey, also took to the stage and threw down the gauntlet to Crum-Ewing’s killers, stating that as long as there was no justice for Crum-Ewing, the newspaper would always fight for the assassins to be brought to justice.“Someone once told me never to forget three types of people. Those who helped you… those who put you in trouble… and those who leave you in trouble. Courtney helped us in our time of need. He was there holding a placard shouting for justice when our Attorney General threatened violence on Kaieteur News staff.”“He took the protest to the DPP chambers and stood there alone, shouting for justice. We marched side by side when I met Courtney for the first time. I sensed his passion.”He said that everywhere he went, people would shake his hands and whisper in his ear.“No more can we talk to each other. Two gunmen stormed the office of (Charlie Hebdo in France), killed the publisher and 11 others. It was the second attack. The first time it was bombed. When the publisher was asked, he said he will clean up and continue. He went on to say I rather die standing than live on my knees.”He asked whether the bullhorn used by Courtney was a weapon.“Was he poking fun? No! All he stood up for were his rights in a democratic society and he lost his life. On behalf of myself, family and staff, we offer our deepest sympathies.”His message was clear. “I am Courtney! We are Courtney! Courtney walked the walk. And he