爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 4413 ☼
註冊 2018-7-23
用戶註冊天數 2075
用戶失蹤天數 1851
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-8-8 12:45 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
While President’s College was created as a school to nurture the best young minds, another school to cater to the needs of students with cognitive challenges was also introduced.The School was the St Barnabas Special School which today accommodates a student population of just over 40 students. And no time or effort is lost in helping the students there reach their full potential.This was particularly emphasised yesterday when the school,Custom Bayern Munich Jerseys, situated at Regent Road, Bourda, hosted an exhibition of the handiwork of its students. The event was coordinated by Ms. Alicia Daniels, a teacher at the institution.On display yesterday were Science, Information Technology,Custom Barcelona Jerseys, Visual Arts, Clothing and Textile, Wood Work and Plumbing projects. The exhibition also showcased the literacy and numeracy ability of the students.And according to Daniels, the exhibition was almost three months in the making and represented work that would have been undertaken this school term.Daniels, who joined the teaching staff at St Barnabas last year, is tasked with teaching her charges Clothing and Textile, Woodwork and Plumbing. And it certainly isn’t without some challenges, as the school is populated by students with physical and learning disabilities from age 12-18.“Some of them have deficiencies from birth and some have developed their disabilities over time,” said Daniels of her students yesterday.According to her,Andre Gomes Jersey, while the students can be considered of secondary level, “we don’t do the regular secondary school programme. We don’t do the national third form exams and CXC.”Teaching students with special needs, according to Daniels, is a passion for her. She was in the mainstream school system for 13 years prior to heading over to the special school. Scenes from the exhibition at the St Barnabas Special School yesterday“I wanted to have a different teaching experience…coming here was a choice for me and I am elated to be here,” said Daniels as she added, “I couldn’t ask to be at a better place.”“Here you are actually able to impart knowledge and see results as it happens every day. If they (students) can move from letter A to letter B, to me that is a plus…so I am able to get job satisfaction every single day, and it is more than I’ve seen in the mainstream school,” stressed Daniels.And she has attributed this state of affairs to the fact that “these children have a desire to learn. I’m not saying that they don’t have this in the mainstream school,Cheap Barcelona Jersey, but here they are so motivated to work…” said Daniels, who disclosed that she would like the public to give due recognition to the efforts of the students at the St Barnabas School.“We want to change the mindset of Guyana regarding this school,” emphasised Daniels as she directed keen attention to the projects on display.Ms. Rebecca Persaud has been Principal at the school for the past three years.She disclosed that the school was first privately established in 1887 by the church system and was then a primary level school.? But according to Persaud it was in 1985 that a presidential decision was enforced to have the school transferred into Government’s care.Persaud recalled that back then it was declared that since a school of excellence was being established in the form of President’s College, there was need for a special school for students who are differently-able.“But even though our students are differently-able, they are introduced to different areas and they are able to learn quite a lot by doing things, especially with their hands,” said Persaud. The school, according to her, offers 14 subject areas to students.Students are admitted at the Grade Seven level and graduate at Grade Nine.“When they come here we teach them so that they can reach to a stage where they can be re-integrated into the mainstream secondary school,” said the Principal, who revealed that some of the students are diverted to technical or craft-focused institutions such as the Guyana Industrial Training Centre, Burrowes School of Arts and Carnegie School of Home Economics.“We don’t just leave them if they don’t make it back into the mainstream school…and you can see here today they are doing powerful work because of what they learn here,” boasted Persaud yesterday.But credit is not only due to the efforts of teachers alone. According to Persaud, the school is supported by a vibrant Parent-Teacher Association which is headed by Ms. Claire Emanuel. Emanuel underscored yesterday that not only are the teachers at the institution talented, but they have the requisite patience to prepare the students in their care for the future. “The teachers are doing a great job,” she emphasized.The bu