爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2394
用戶失蹤天數 2102
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-11-12 06:58 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“Being the first and only black female investigator, it was not easy; I had to be ten times better than everyone. I worked hard and was respected for my persistence, determination and talent.”By Nigel McKenzieIt was quite a pleasant experience for me this week when I conducted a fairly in-depth interview with a confident, charming, intelligent and highly accomplished United States-based Guyanese woman, whose achievements are thoroughly deserving of being recognized in this widely-read weekly column.Beverley DrakeFor starters, she has over 37 years of aviation experience; has served as pilot-in-command for a commercial air carrier (Guyana Airways Corporation), and even more impressive, has been investigator-in-charge of over 300 small and large-scale investigations.She has a Bachelor’s degree in Aeronautical Science/Safety and Master’s in Aeronautical Science/Management/Safety/Operations, both obtained at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Before that there were courses in Accident Investigation at the University of California.Aviator, analyst and administrator Beverley Drake’s journey to such remarkable heights has been among the more interesting that I have been privileged to learn about.The gregarious Gemini effortlessly relates an inspiring life story, particularly for young women,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, which speaks of her emergence from modest environs in Georgetown and reaching the hallways of the prestigious National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), a world-renowned independent Federal agency in the U.S.Beverley currently resides in Montclair, a residential community, located in the state of Virginia. However, as earlier indicated, it all began in our capital city, on June 20, 1956, when the second of their two daughters, was born to Clive and Elaine Drakes.The following exchanges provide a detailed depiction of how this ‘Special Person’ succeeded in her ‘flight to the top’.Nigel McKenzie (NM): How often do you reflect on the journey from whence you came to where you’ve been and are today?Beverley Drake (BD): Quite often! Honestly, I never thought that a young girl from Costello Housing Scheme – ‘The Scheme’ as we fondly referred to it – would achieve all the things that I have been able to. I am currently in my third career: First as a pilot; second as an analyst at Goldman Sachs in Wall Street, and third, a Senior Aviation Accident Investigator/Analyst; Federal Women’s Program Manager at the NTSB.It has been quite a difficult journey and I worked really hard to be where I am today. It was persistence and the many mentors in my life that helped me to be where I am today.NM: I’m curious about your younger days. Surely there would be more than your fair share of interesting experiences. What was it like?BD: My memories of youth in beautiful Guyana are those I spent with my dad at the airport, cooking with my mom, and playing cricket with the neighbourhood boys.Working at a crash siteI never gravitated to dolls; I was always a “tomboy” as we say in Guyanese parlance, so aviation was an easy adjustment for me. I lived my father’s dream and he was proud to see me takeoff on my first flight when I became a pilot.We lived in Costello Housing Scheme, La Penitence. I have one older sister Paula… no brothers. My dad was very strict, my Mom was the neighbourhood Mom; everyone came to her for advice. I then became a neighbourhood Mom just like my mother, when my kids Kevin and Kurt Johnson were at home and during their teenage years. They are now 35 and 31 respectively.My dad always dreamed of being a pilot. He would take me frequently to the airport, have lots of model airplanes and aviation magazines at home; he had a subscription for airplanes and he graciously passed it on to me before he died in October 2008. I knew and loved his passion for aviation; so in essence, it was thoroughly fulfilling to live my dad’s dream.I went to St. Pius Primary School in La Penitence near to my home, and then went on to attend St. Rose’s High School after I passed Common Entrance.I have vivid memories from those days…some not so nice. For instance, Mrs. Haynes, my primary school teacher at St Pius, used to beat us with a wild cane and I hated that.Sister Anthony was always taking down my uniform hem as I defied her. I wore pants when we were only allowed to wear skirts and dresses.I smile when I tell people how defiant I was, because my older son Kevin did the same thing at school. He was the class clown just like me and always got into trouble. I would go to Tang’s Bakery for lunch when we were not supposed to leave the school compound. I was?always a trouble maker. All my friends knew I loved to get in trouble, but I did my work at school and got good grades.My chemistry professor, Ulric Trotz, was a great instructor, and he took his time to make us understand all the difficult things in his chemistry class. And I remember my neighbour, Mr. Joseph used to show