爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 2096
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-11-12 18:26 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
Back in my youthful days, my mother always remarked that I “don’t care if Good Friday falls on a Saturday” to remind me of how irresponsible I was. Now if she was living in the United States at the time, it would have little meaning. The thought of Easter in Guyana occurred to me last Good Friday as I was shopping with my son Calvin in the supermarket. The most vivid reminder of Good Friday in Guyana was when I observed quite a few customers purchasing alcoholic beverages. I told him that no “liquor” was sold on Good Friday in Guyana. All the bars were closed or supposed to be closed.I say supposed to be closed because a particular incident came to mind of a Good Friday night way back in my “rum drinking” days. Like I mentioned all the bars, rum shops,Wholesale China NFL Jerseys, beer gardens and liquor stores were all closed for Good Friday. My late good friend, Deo, and I decided that a day without “liquor” would be a good idea; we needed to “rest up for a day”. After all, we can do without rum for a day or so we thought.We did hold out well for the day occupying ourselves in some “sponge ball cricket” and cards with the boys until night stepped in and the thirst began. It is now going on 9pm to 10pm. The thought of going without a “drink” is now becoming unbearable.“Want a drink”? My friend Deo asked.“Yes” I replied,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys, “I can really do with one”“Let’s go and wake E. J”. He suggested.Now E.J. was the owner of the neighborhood rum shop. E. J. stood for Eugene Jardine, and he was the owner of a rum shop/grocery/cake shop which was situated at the corner of Winkle and Republic Road (Backdam Road) in New Amsterdam. It was a favourite “watering hole” for many New Amsterdam residents back in the day.You could go and wake up E J anytime in the night to buy a take away drink. This privilege was however reserved for a selected few of his customers including yours truly. Obviously he would let out a few choice cuss words for waking him up, but he nevertheless will sell you.So we set out to E J which was only a few minutes’ walk. The place was closed as expected so we walked around to the rear of the building where we observed an unusual?? number of bicycles stacked behind the building. After calling out for E J, the rear door of the building opened and to our amazement the entire bar was filled with patrons from every walk of Guyanese life.The music was low, the aroma of “cutters” frying filled the air,Wholesale China Jerseys, and everyone was having a good time as if it was just a regular Saturday night out on that Good Friday night. We were not the only alcoholics that badly needed a drink that Good Friday night.Most Guyanese try to observe their Easter tradition in the Diaspora,NFL Jerseys China Wholesale, just as they observe other traditional holidays such as Christmas. When I resided in New York I attended a Lutheran Church that had many Guyanese members. It was located in the heart of Richmond Hill more known as “Little Guyana”.The Pastor asked us (Guyanese) what was our Easter tradition in Guyana. One of the things we mentioned was flying kites, so he decided we should go fly kites. Some of us made “board kite while others made “pineta” kites.So it was on a cold Easter Sunday morning our church group was in Flushing Meadows Park in Queens trying to get some kites in the air. I have no doubt in my mind that the non-Guyanese who were observing us were probably thinking “what these fools were doing flying kite in winter”. It was indeed a strange sight then. Today Richmond Hill is mainly Guyanese and it would not be an unusual occurrence today; but back in the 80’s it was a strange sight.My son remembered flying his kite in Smythfield, New Amsterdam,NFL Jerseys Cheap China, and being pulled away. I reminded him that I had to tie him to a coconut tree so he could not be flying in the air like his kite. Outside of Christmas, Easter is probably the best time to visit Guyana, with its four days holiday weekend.I saw some videos on You Tube of Easter Monday at the #63 Beach. I was amazed at the crowd,NFL Jerseys Discount, the number of cars and atmosphere and not to mention the ladies who are not shy to wear their two-piece swimsuits in public. In the “old days” one only went to the beach by an excursion with a bus. Today it looks like almost everyone has a car in Guyana.? I am thinking of spending my next Easter Monday on the #63 Beach especially if the airfare wars continue between Suriname Airways and Caribbean Airlines. More on that next week.Happy Easter to all Guyanese at home and in the Diaspora. Mara, Gregory, Joey and Errol have an Easter drink for me.Ralph Seeram