爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2380
用戶失蹤天數 2088
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-11-29 00:34 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Dale Andrews No one has two fathers, but in most cases there are always persons other than your biological father who would have a profound effect on your life.One of those persons for me was Patrick Fredericks, a former English Language and Literature teacher at Queen’s College, who passed away a little over a week ago.Although I never had the opportunity of being directly tutored by him, just being in the same school was enough for him to command my utter respect, as well as the respect of everyone attending QC during my secondary school days in the 1980’s.Mr. Fredericks or “Freddo” as we so often referred to him (out of earshot) was the ultimate teacher and father figure.As news of his death filtered through, e-mails began circulating all around the globe.Such was Freddo’s effect on so many people, that his death solicited comments from all those whose lives he touched as a teacher.From doctors to lawyers,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, international entertainers to journalists, lecturers to teachers,Cheap NHL Jerseys China, all of whom passed through his hands at Queen’s College, the tributes poured in. My first real personal experience with Freddo was not the happy meeting that many would like to recall.I was late for school and although I was in the ‘long pants’ stage of my school career, I was not spared the wild cane.Three strokes from Freddo just after General Assembly were enough to make me reconsider the way I looked at punctuality.I was not the only person in my era at QC to recall the impact Freddo had on our lives.Last week I got e-mails from Dr. Davine Armstrong, international entertainer Andy Ninvalle, Sharda Veeren-Chand, a former Executive of Demerara Distillers Limited, and many other persons who were in my class when Freddo ruled the turf.They were all playing their part to see that he got a proper send-off.Although I did not go to his funeral, news of what transpired was relayed to me and it still had a striking effect on me.In one particularly moving tribute, Andy Ninvalle, who is now one of the top artistic directors in the Netherlands wrote,NFL Jerseys Sale, “My first contact with Mr. Fredericks or “Freddo” as we all fondly called him, was during my first week of high school, Queens College, sometime at the end of August 1980.Shoulders held noticeably higher than usual, he peered at me with a smirk, which, strangely enough, comforted me more than its potentially intimidating association.He raised one eyebrow effortlessly, an amazing feat of muscular coordination which registered to my already young creative mind, and said, “Are you Pete’s little brother?”There was something eerily rhetorical about his intensity that strongly suggested that he was right and I was supposed to simply confirm.“Freddo” strikes a pose with Andy Ninvalle and Dr Davine Armstrong during a visit they paid to him last Christmas.The comfort that I felt a second ago departed in an alarmed rush through my armpits, leaving a spontaneous residue of sweat and a strange lump in my throat. I blinked a few times to control myself and then managed to croak, “Yes Sir” in a tone I didn’t recognize to be my own voice. Mr. Fredericks had that power. He nodded his head in affirmation and still smirking,Wholesale NFL China Jerseys, he remarked, “Your brother is a scholar and colleague of mine, young Ninvalle, you have a lot of work to do!”He said something after that, but the sound of my heart pounding in my head was so hard that all I heard was him mumble as my instincts screamed, “Breathe Andy! Breathe!!”There were many of us who upon seeing Freddo coming down the corridors, would cease whatever mischief we were up to and even appear studious, although many times we forgot where the book was.I must admit that Freddo’s death was a surprise to me. I learnt about it from my mother who is forever watching the death announcements on television.Although I had left school almost three decades ago,Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale, more than anyone else my mother would remember Mr. Fredericks.My father had died while I was a teenager in Fourth Form and like many boys at that stage of life, a grieving singl- parent mother would have found it very difficult to maintain a tight lid.I had several uncles who were more than capable of filling the void in discipline that was left by my father, but yet my mother chose Freddo for the task.Needless to say that was maybe one of the best moves she could have made, for my uncles could have been easily manipulated, but not Freddo.There were many times I transgressed the disciplinary barrier at home and would feel that my mother was not going to do anything about it.I was wrong. Later in the day I would see my mother standing outside the staff r