爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2358
用戶失蹤天數 2065
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-11-30 14:01 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“I am not the sort of person who insinuate myself in anything…I get my satisfaction by seeing what is happening and knowing that I am responsible for something that helped to develop my country.”By Sharmain GraingerSpectacular may be one of the many adjectives that quickly come to mind when one sees a militaryThomas Princeparade in procession; the immaculate uniforms, the precision march, bring along a sense of nationalism. But have you ever really wondered about our military attire?By 1965 when Guyana was on the verge of attaining independence from British rule, it was also necessary for efforts to be made to design nationalized military apparel, complete with symbols.Guyana understandably had to take total responsibility for this task, even deriving its own designs and military colours. But what many people may not know is that one man was identified to single-handedly carry out this very auspicious undertaking.? And although he is currently 78, he remembers, like it was yesterday, how it all went down.Today he isn’t the proud holder of a medal of honour nor has his work been nationally recognized, but Thomas Wellington Prince is yet elated and very contented that he has made a significant enough contribution to his country. And even today he keeps on contributing.CAREER PATH WAS NOT THRUST UPON HIMBorn to parents Thomas and Doris Prince (both deceased) at 59 Robb Street, Georgetown, on November 24,Houston Cougars Jerseys, 1937, he was the third of eight siblings. And Mr. Prince during a recent interview recalled that because his father was such a sought after engineer, this saw the family essentially living like nomads.“I barely remember growing up in Robb Street, but I do remember going to school at Mackenzie (Linden); I remember going to school in Berbice and then we came back to Georgetown at some point,” he recounted.It was in Georgetown that he eventually graduated from the Tutorial High School. He went on to attend the Government Technical Institute, and was in fact among the first batch of students to attend that institution.Our ‘Special Person’ in work mode.Since he already had a passion for his father’s profession, it came naturally for him to embrace engineering as his preferred area of study. He insisted this career path was not thrust upon him. “For me I could only see two workable professions – engineering and soldiering – and I have been privileged to do both,” said Mr. Prince who disclosed that he had the desire to be involved in these fields ever since he was a boy scout.He, moreover, enrolled in the British Guiana Volunteer Force (the military reserve force). By 1965 he was a Corporal in the Volunteer Force. However, Mr. Prince had by then tied the knot with his sweetheart, Bridget Genevieve, and that union had started to bear children, thus the need for an income to provide for a family.HONOURABLE TASKAs a result he sought employment at the British Guiana Credit Corporation, the forerunner to the now defunct Guyana Mortgage Finance Bank as a draughtsman and technical field officer. It was while working there that he was summoned to do what would turn out to be the most stupendous task of his life.In reminiscing mode, he related how “in October of 1965 I was doing field work at Garden of Eden (and) that took me away from the office for a period of time. On returning to my office at the Corporation, at 41 Boyle Place,Thomas Prince, the Engineer, assesses a drawing of a road alignmentBrickdam – the said building now enhanced architecturally that the Ministry of Housing is using – my supervisor, the late Gaston De Cambra, told me that I was urgently required at the Volunteer Force’s Headquarters, Eve Leary.”There was no hesitation on Mr. Prince’s part to comply. He disclosed that on arrival at the location he first reported to an officer who, according to him,Cheap Jerseys From China, “informed me that I must report,Adidas Mike Ribeiro Jersey, as a matter of urgency, to the British Army Headquarters, in the building that is now the CID headquarters of the Guyana Police Force.”And he recalled, with a sheepish grin, being ushered in to see a British Officer by a Major who introduced himself as Raymond Sattaur. He remembers so vividly hearing the Major mutter “Bill, the illusive Corporal has arrived.”“I gazed up at this immaculately dressed British Officer…” recounted Mr. Prince as he added “I was standing up there nonplussed. I wasn’t at the time able to fathom the reason for my being there.”Before long, though, his curiosity was appeased.“I was offered a seat and Major Williams (the British Officer) soon put me at ease by saying that he was in British Guiana to help establish the Army (the Guyana Defence Force), and that having made inquiries of the Volunteer Force Headq