爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2379
用戶失蹤天數 2087
狀態 離線
發表於 2017-12-22 20:31 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Rehana Ashley AhamadWhen one thinks about the word career, he or she automatically thinks about what they want to be for the rest of their lives. And for 50-year-old Trevor Smith, it means just that. For the past 34 years, Smith has been doing the job that he still wants to do many years from now; a job that he feels is worthwhile.Some may consider him much like Santa Claus, as he works year round to put a smile on the faces of children around Guyana, except that, for him, that special time is Easter. Trevor Smith is a master kite-maker.Trevor Smith stands in front of his star point pieces that are up for sale on Camp StreetThe father of two has his workshop located in the bottom flat of his Lot 66 William Street, Campbellville home.Smith takes pride in making only traditional, “star point” kites by using only the most durable of materials.“Children ain’t got to worry about their kites turning to caddie-old-punches minutes after putting it up in the air. I don’t make my kites with the regular cheese papers that we know about,” Smith said.He explained that many years ago, ‘we’ (Guyanese) started to use the Barbadian kite papers, but after a while, these were no longer available in stores locally.Thus, to this day, Smith said that his daughter who resides in the United States of America would make it her duty to post the materials in large quantities for him to create at least 1000 kites every year.“I remember being a kid…you get so excited to put up your kite. Sometimes yuh parents could’ve barely afforded that one kite fuh you, and by the time it go up, it fall back to the ground with nuff holes in it. That thing used to make yuh feel so crushed. That is why I make sure that my kites are strong enough. Because at the end of the day, I making these things to please the children, not to con them and spoil their Easter,” Smith explained.Smith recalls having a keen interest in kites from a very young age.“Imagine, I did like kites so much, that I always used to get lashes fuh them. Especially when it comes to kites and me school books. The problem was not only that I didn’t used to pay attention to me book,NFL Jerseys Sale, but my mother was pissed off because I used to rip out the book pages and make pointer kites,” a smiling Smith said.But the lashes from his mother did not deter Smith one bit. Rather, his passion for kites grew even stronger, and at age 16,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, Smith had his own kite business. He began making and selling kites on the streets; Camp Street to be exact.The environs of Regent and Camp Streets have changed, but if there is one thing that remains, it is the “Rasta man” selling his kites”.Smith makes his star ‘point’ pieces from scratch. Though he can make other kites, Smith remains traditional; he is not even a believer in the “famous” bird kites.“My thing with these traditional kites and the durability of my kites is what I am known for. I have customers from 10-20 years who come year after year with their children. And I believe that that is itself, an accomplishment.”Smith views Easter as a perfect family day where parents and children get to bind over good food, drinks, and the season’s main attraction, the kites.Ironically though,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, on this day, while trying to bring other families closer,Authentic MLB Jerseys Online, Smith never had the opportunity to take his own family out for a day of picnicking and kite flying.His daughter left to live in the USA at a very young age, and his son’s routine on Easter Day became flying his kite on the shores of Bartica where he stayed with his grandmother.“On Easter Day my son would come collect his kite, and head over to Bartica with his grandmother. But they understand that this does be one of the busiest days fuh me. I does get nuff to do. The lil, lil pasting, and patching up,China NFL Jerseys,” Smith said.The kite frames are being prepared year round, but leading up to Easter Monday, then Smith would start pasting the paper on the kites.And upon purchase, he would add the kite’s “accessories”. Meaning, the tail, frills and tongue.When asked, Smith explained that the difference between him and the other kite makers and sellers, is the fact that he has a love for doing what he does; a passion that has turned into pride. And the fact that he does not mind investing in making his work better is also beneficial.Some of his investments include the purchasing of woodworking equipment. And coming down to Easter crunch time,China Jerseys For Sale, Smith has to have at least on employee to help him paste the kites.