爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2358
用戶失蹤天數 2066
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-2-14 16:34 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“We have the vision; we have to make people see possibilities. Some people looked at the government reserve on East Ruimveldt Front Road, and just saw bush. We saw a relaxation park.”By Dennis NicholsAn imposing four-storeyed building stands on Avocado Place, just off Mandela Avenue, in East Ruimveldt. Its signboard says ‘Ruimveldt Life Improvement Centre’ and indeed life seems to be improving for a number of residents in the relatively modest environs. The mustard-coloured edifice represents the fulfilment of a dream for the members of the East Ruimveldt Assembly of God Church headed by Pastor Simon Harris, this week’s ‘special person’.The story of how Simon Harris rose from the relative obscurity of a ‘saved’ North Ruimveldt Multilateral School student to the prominence of heading a church and managing a social-uplift and skills-training centre is an intriguing one.In a recent interview, he declared that the process embraced hard work, sacrifice, a shared vision, and divine intervention and guidance. He credits his wife, Denise, also a pastor,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys, with being a major part of the church’s plans coming to fruition, in addition to a team of pastors, elders and members of the Central Assembly of God Church, headed by Pastor John Smith.REMINISCING ON EARLY LIFEHarris reminisced on his early life, growing up next to a tenement yard at the corner of Princes and Lombard Streets in Georgetown. It was there, he recalls, that he saw ‘my first knife-and-cutlass battle’ between two families which, he surmises, may have sparked his later desire to assist in positively affecting the lives of residents in the East Ruimveldt community which shared a similar background of social stagnation.His family moved to Bishop Street, Werk-en-rust, in the late sixties, and his formal education began at a nursery school there, before relocating to the then-developing South Ruimveldt Park. His father, Hawley Harris, operated a small rubber stamp business to support his wife and five children.(Hawley went on to become arguably Guyana’s most renowned cartoonist,Simon Harrisa profession later taken up by Simon’s older brother Paul.)In ‘South’, Harris continued his education at Robinson’s Under-12, then moved on North Ruimveldt Multilateral School, where in 1979, he met his future wife, Denise Dodson. It was there too, while in the fourth form, that his spiritual life began to blossom. “That’s where I came to know the Lord, got saved, gave my heart to the Lord,Wholesale NFL Jerseys China, and started living for Jesus Christ … under the influence of good men like Loris Heywood and Rudolph Prescod,” he declared.After high school, his focus shifted wholly to theology, and to this end he attended the Assemblies of God, Bible Institute, in Queenstown, after which he completed a Bachelor of Arts in Theology with the Caribbean Institute of Theology. His formal training in the subject continued with a short course at the Morris Cerullo School of Ministry, and culminated at the Haggai Institute in Singapore, where he was trained in missionary work.Responding to a question as to whether such training prepared him for his current involvement in social work,Kevin Love Jersey, Harris explained, “Well, the training I have gone through involved anthropology … and a bit of sociology, so yes, it trains you in terms of the study of human behaviour. I have not gone in depth with that, but the amount of years I have spent in East Ruimveldt, have been a lesson in itself.”This ‘lesson’ began in 1980, with Harris and his wife being part of a series of house group meetings under the leadership and guidance of Pastor Smith. The house group he belonged to soon grew to five groups across the district, reaching between 400 and 500 people weekly. Eventually their work became fruitful enough to establish the East Ruimveldt branch of the church, using the East Ruimveldt Secondary School as a temporary venue. Services began there on September 1983, under the pastorship of Leonard Marks.A challenging 18-year period followed during which the church had to adjust the physical environment of the school’s classroom setting to accommodate its weekly services, but Harris acknowledged that he wasA charming family portraitgrateful to the school administration for the use of the institution’s facilities during this period.He was also grateful for the holding of a certain ceremony in February 1988 when he and Denise Dodson said ‘I do’ to each other. And when anyone asks about his success, his unhesitant response is, “God, and a good wife.” Their union has produced four children.TAKING OVER THE REINSThe leadership of the church was subsequently transferred to Pastor Phillip Walcott, whose tenure lasted up to 1996, after which Harris took over the