爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2388
用戶失蹤天數 2096
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-2-26 08:01 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Ralph Seeram“Ah glad fuh come and see yuh but I ain’t coming to GT while dem people marching,” my friend said on the other end of the phone. My friend had learnt that I was in Guyana. He was not alone in his fear of coming to the city. My regular taxi driver was in fear of coming to the city because of the “peaceful” protests by APNU.This was the case for the thousands of people who live in the outlying areas who normally travel to the city to do business. The “peaceful” protests have also had a negative impact on the business community who closed their doors on the slightest rumour, and with good reason, given the history of past PNC protests after elections.What is the pretext for these protests? APNU was calling for the original Statements of Poll from the various polling stations. Now let’s get rid of this “red herring” that APNU is using and get to the real reason for these protests.Every political party had a representative who signed the SOP and were given copies, so each parties knew exactly how many votes each received, before GECOM announced the official results.All the parties had tallied their votes. So why all the nonsense of wanting to examine the Statements of Poll? APNU claims that they could have been altered, and by inference,Cheap Jerseys Wholesale, in favour of the PPP. Now this could be a real possibly. Only problem is David Granger is not coming out clearly to say that is what happened. Why?APNU could have easily found out if there were errors in GECOM tally of the votes and theirs. As far as I know APNU has not disputed GECOM figures, so why use the SoP as an excuse for protests? It was really a minor issue that could have been resolved by other legal avenues available to them. Instead they choose to drive fear and tension in the city leading to the police using rubber bullets against protesters in an illegal march.Even if there are errors I am sure they are minor and not enough to change the results of the elections. Trust me if there were major discrepancies, APNU would have made this known already.AFC also received the same copies. You don’t hear the party disputing GECOM figures. If there were any major discrepancies I am sure AFC would have made it known. There was absolutely no need for these protests especially after an election. Tensions are already high and the actions only serve to increase them.Sure, some argue that APNU has a right to protest, but this must be done the legal way. APNU and its followers have consistently carried out illegal marches in the city,Wholesale Jerseys, ignoring the police and the law, consistently ignoring police legal orders and instruction,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, thus leading to the shooting of rubber bullets at demonstrators.I believe that APNU by its actions was seeking a confrontation with the authorities, by encouraging its supporters to break the law. Some have accused the police of using excessive force, including Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee.One has to appreciate the police position in making a call to take necessary action in real time situation. Rohee is a politician so we can discard his opinion. The problem is if that crowd that was “up in the police face” got out control resulting in violence and destruction, those very people would be criticizing the police for not taking firm action to prevent the situation.The police obviously were in a “catch 22” situation. Actions by PNC supporters in previous elections except 2006 bring back fears to people, especially the business community. Demonstrating in front of GECOM officials’ homes serves only one purpose–to intimidate. That has been the modus operandi of the PNC in previous years dating back to the sixties. Nothing has changed except the name, the stripes are still there.The statements by Rohee condemning the police action would only serve to undermine the confidence of the police force. If this Minister felt that the police actions were wrong, the thing to do was to have a private meeting with police, not to let them “hang and dry to the public”.Now what should the police do when faced with a worse situation? I’ll tell you what they will do, turn a blind eye and let chaos rule.I mentioned that the protests are a pretext for something else. When David Granger was nominated as Presidential candidate,Nike Air Max 95 For Sale, it caused a rift in the PNC. One must recall Granger was not a “rank and file” member. There are two schools of thought, about the demonstrations. One is Granger is trying to solidly his position with the rank and file members, others are of the view that Granger does not have control and others within the party are starting to assert t