爱心值 0 ♡
活跃度 36394 ☼
註冊 2017-10-13
用戶註冊天數 2397
用戶失蹤天數 2105
狀態 離線
發表於 2018-3-7 16:12 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
By Tusika MartinMahaicony Rice Mills Limited owes over $600M to farmers even as the current rice crop is being harvested, General Secretary of the Rice Producers Association (RPA) Dharamkumar Seeraj said yesterday.General Secretary of the Rice Producers Association, Dharamkumar SeerajHowever,Wholesale Jerseys, Seeraj said that the association is not prepared to continue to entertain such behaviour from the company this coming crop as measures are being explored to have legislation changes to deal with the company.During a press conference yesterday, the General Secretary of the RPA said that Mahaicony Rice Mill has been dealing with farmers ‘in a way that is almost contentious.’He noted that efforts were made to work with the company in order to pool resources and strength to address the outstanding payment issue.“Under the Financial Institutional Act, foreign companies have a limit by law as to how much they can borrow and this is in the interest of protecting the local banking industry and depositors. I was told that the limit Mahaicony Rice Mills has, has been exhausted.”In the interest of farmers,holesale Soccer Jerseys, he noted, the Ministry of Finance has agreed to expand the loan portfolio of Mahaicony Rice Mills, if the loan is passed down as direct payments to farmers.This was taken into consideration, he added,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, since the fiasco with non-payment can affect the entire rice industry and Guyana’s capacity to reach its export targets.“I spoke with the General Manager of the company and I implored him to submit the list of farmers who will get paid once the loan is extended. I found it strange that the Minister of Finance agreed to grant the expansion but the company is hesitant and reluctant to provide that information.” At present, Seeraj said,cheap nfl jerseys, Mahaicony Rice Mills are unable to pay farmers but is importing corn to make feed and sell.They are also importing fertilizer, he added, and selling it back to the same farmers they owe at a higher cost.“To my mind this represents a feudal system…they want to tie these farmers to the mill…this sort of arrangement is barbaric…we will not entertain such behaviour for this coming crop,” Seeraj added.Mahaicony Rice Mill is the single largest rice operator in the country.“That company purchased almost 25 percent of all the paddy that is produced. In some good years they would export in excess of 35 percent of all exports…so whatever they do has an impact on the industry.”When questioned about possible bankruptcy proceedings, the RPA General Secretary said that should the company file for bankruptcy there are enough assets registered that can cover the outstanding monies owed to farmers.“We have offered free legal service for farmers who want to take Mahaicony Rice Mills to court…farmers have been hesitant…if the farmers do not get paid and we don’t see any light on the horizon then,Nike Shox Gravity 2018, we as an organization, are going to take necessary action to protect the interest of farmers.”According to Seeraj, the RPA has already begun negotiation with the government to have a number of initiatives implemented.These include wavering of drainage and irrigation charges and a proposal to have 850,000 gallons of diesel for farmers free of excise tax. Over the past year,Cheap Jerseys Online, several farmers have been complaining about non-payment by the Mahaicony Rice Mills Limited.This has led to some controversy within the rice industry since farmers have limited options in selling their paddy.Minister of Agriculture, Robert Persaud along with the executives from the RPA will be meeting with the millers today. A farmer’s conference will be convened on Saturday on the Essequibo Coast, Region Two.